FAQ’s About Applying

Q: How can I find information about salary, benefits, and the resident contract?

Please follow this link to find general information regarding all residency programs at Loma Linda University Health. From there, click on salary and benefits for a sample contract and other benefit information.

Q: When do you conduct ERAS interviews and how many openings do you have?

We hold our categorical interviews in November and early December. We have a select number of slots available for interviews and accept up to 6 categorical residents each year. Two of those six slots are for residents incoming that know they will want to do research and will commit to going out for two years for dedicated research. Preliminary residents are interviewed in January via phone or SKYPE and our program takes up to 8 preliminary residents each year.

Q: What is the score criterion of your program?

We take the entire application seriously, and we do not necessarily concretely establish specific scores for grades, boards, personal statement, or extracurricular activities. But clearly, those applicants who demonstrate a desire for academic endeavors enjoy an advantage. On average, the categorical residents in our program have USMLE, Step 1 and 2 around 235 or higher and preliminary residents have USMLE Step 1 and 2 at 220 or higher. Additionally, it is strongly encouraged that the Step 2 CS exam is passed on the first try.

Q: Any specific requirements regarding letters of recommendations?

No, however, you must have a minimum of 3 submitted for consideration.

Q: Does your program consider application from foreign medical graduates (FMG’s)?

Yes, but you must have your PTAL (Post-training Authorization Letter from Medical Board of CA) in your ERAS application to be considered for an interview and US clinical experience is highly preferred. This cannot be “in process” but actually completed as satisfied with the medical board giving you a letter.

Q: What type of visa does your program offer i.e. H-1 or J-1 ?

We only sponsor J1. We do not sponsor H1.

Q: Do you need ECFMG Certification at the time of application?

Yes, you will need to have your PTAL, which cannot be acquired without your ECFMG CERTIFICATE.

Q: I graduated from medical school a while ago am I eligible?

Possibly. There are many variables to take into account such as US clinical experience/research and other residencies. We do prefer to have residents that have been out of school no more than 5 years at most and have been active during this time.

Note: These answers are guidelines to frequently asked questions and are not set in stone. Each application is vetted thoroughly for consideration and many factors are considered for candidates as potential residents in our program.

Thank you for your interest in our program!